View Single Post
Old 03-03-2003, 07:03 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Re: Re: Re: Re: Who drive in 'D' and who drive in '3'?

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor

John ( I presume ),

I note that you have not answered my simple questions so that we can have an informed debate.

You should not have taken my words harshly as my concern is simply that others could be given a bum steer and I wish to gaurd against this. It is apparent that transmission problems in respect of the SVX are endemic in your part of the world and this problem is best avoided by taking all possible precautions.

I will be polite as I value the good will set by many here and will answer your questions as requested -- " with a miniscule amount of clarity and accuracy ". But also please take note of the preceding post by Joe which contains further facts and a great deal of common sense.

The TCU does not have human intelligence and can be assisted with some of this in the form of driver input as others have pointed out here to their credit. When left to its own devices it will hunt up and down from D to 3, when the car is driven at slow speeds, causing wear and tear which CAN be avoided.

This fact is not limited to the SVX. Manufacturers manuals or sales blurb will naturally not disclose any of this as the information would devalue the hype attached to selling the feature of automatic transmission.

If you require a " Guru " on the SVX transmission, please refer yourself to Harvey and his posts as he has done a great deal of research and is fully qualified.

Meantime please answer my original questions, standing upright , so that we are aware of the reasons for your choice in order that an interesting debate may continue.
Trevor, I was not aware that this thread was designed to be a debate. It was a simple queston out of curiousity by Lwin. Your original response in this thread gave no supporting reasons as to why you use third and referred only to the wisdom of others in a previous discussion on this very topic ("I always drive in " 3 ", unless travelling at cruising speeds, for the several obvious reasons which have been very clearly and carefully explaned in several posts by people who know and understand their subject."). It seems you expressed what you do but, for the sake of those of us who had not read those previous posts, not why.

Your next statement seemed a little arrogant and even a little condescending to me, especially when what you said had no clarity or accuracy as to why you use third other than a vague reference to old posts on the subject. ("It would appear that some do not have the technical knowledge to understand what is sound logic even when this has been expressed in simple terms. Any rejections should be expressed with equal clarity and accuracy.") That is what originally got my dander up and I apologise if that was not your intent but it did seem a little snotty to me at the time.

As far as answering your original questions (which, by the way, you never asked any questions), standing upright , so that you are aware of the reasons for my choice in order that an interesting debate may continue, I believe I already had given the reason I use "D" in a previous post in this very thread. "I leave mine in "D" since I am not worried about responsiveness. If my speed and throttle position do not warrant being in a position to go quickly then why not let it go into overdrive to drop the RPM's and maybe save a little fuel."

I would like to thank Joe and Harvey for their excellent, clear and accurate reasons for choosing third over "D". I admit to being ignorant to the working of an automatic transmission as I have ever had one open nor devoted much time to the study of them (I've only worked on manuals in the past) and their explainations have helped me quite a bit and it does make sound sense. My only remaining question is, considering the extremely cold temps we are experiencing in my locale, whether to use "D" to help my tranny warm up properly on a cold morning or to just stick with third. Considering I only live less than a mile and a half from my job I doubt it would make that much difference but when running errands or just enjoying my SVX I believe I will switch to saving "D" for highways runs from now on. Thanks for the informed discussion guys!

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.