View Single Post
Old 03-02-2003, 08:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
Those are some good points, but I honestly don't believe that the car was "designed" to run at sustained speeds over 100MPH without consideration for normal driving 90% of the time. For one thing, the wheel bearings seem deterioate considerably faster after prolonged high speed driving from my experience. I suppose it's just my driving habits but around the city, which is mostly flat here in KC, there is rarely a need for the car to provide more torque than necessary to keep the car at 40MPH.

KuoH
Hi KuoH, If it wasn't, Why use such a high ratio. They could have used the 4.11:1 that the Legacy uses, to give an overall ratio of 2.8:1, so that it suited the low speed driving. It would have had a lot more acceleration and performance than using 2.4:1.

40 mph in D is 1300 rpm, the engine is at a fast idle and you expect it to perform. Every time you ease the pedal down at that rpm, the high clutch and the front Planetary gear set transmit very high loads, with a much lower line pressure.

Apart from the bearings the rest was designed for high speed touring, oh and the fuel gauge.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.