View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Paul, if you don't want to mess up the alignment, just unbolt the 3 bolts in the lower control arm that hold the ball joints, then the knuckle will just swing out far enough to get the axle loose.

As for removing the rear drive shaft, that works great IF your SVX has a 2 piece driveshaft, as some come with a CV joint in the middle which is not removable, which means you won't be able to leave the driveshaft out...so check into that pretty early in case you want to source a 2 piece one (I think you can use the front section of an auto Legacy in it, but might have to modify the carrier bearing mount some.

I wanna say the axle nut is a 32mm...but that is from memory....should be the same as on your Legacy.

Dowel pins can bein either the engine of the tranny, but not both so just make sure they are only in one or the other before you try to wresle the beast up in there.

Do NOT force the TC up on the motor...the TC should spin freely all the way untill the motor and tranny are completely snug...if at ANY point the TC gets where it won't spin freely STOP, as it isn't seated properly, so the tranny needs to be moved back untill you can get it fully seated....it should have about 1/16" between it and the case of the tranny on the rearward side

Thats about it for any unusual stuff.....but it is one HEAVY mother....so have some extra hands around, and a good tranny jack will make things much easier.

Hopefully it'll warm back up this week for you to woek on it...
You can always call me if you have any questions
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"