Thread: 94,95 svx
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2003, 02:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: 94,95 svx

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyangel1950
Hello everyone! Colin suggested i contact this site. Please bear with me , the computer is new to me. If any body sees this i would like to hear about these cars.
Oh, boy, did you come to the right place.

1. I say yes. Some people use lower-octane fuel, but I wouldn't recommend it.

2. Yes on both accounts. The SVX shares few parts with other Subaru models, and since it was such a low-production car, we pay pretty high prices. Fortunately, there are businesses on the internet that cater to us DIYers and sell us parts at a discount.

3. Well, the transmission problem is pretty bad when it lets go. The main problem the tranny has is with heat. Protect it from that (and don't thrash the car) and it'll serve you well for a long, long time. Mine lasted 133,000 miles - not admirable, but above average for an SVX.

4. Gas mileage in city driving is poor - below 20mpg. On the freeway it varies from car to car. Some people get mid 20s, I get over 30.

5. If you find a car you want to buy, you can get its dealer repair history by supplying a dealer with the VIN from that car. If very little history turns up, I would recommend looking for another. SVXs are fantastic cars - if they're well taken care of. A poorly cared for SVX will repay its owner with frequent, expensive repairs.

There's no real way to tell if the timing belt has been replaced without performing the labor required to replace one. After 80k, mine was nearly indistinguishable from the one I replaced it with. As a matter of fact, now I'll worry that I didn't replace it at all.

If you are really interested in buying an SVX, I wish you the best of luck in your search. Take the time to buy one from an owner who loved the car and took care of it. It's easy to fall in love with the first SVX you see, but important, usually, to resist that.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE