View Single Post
Old 06-27-2003, 10:20 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Re: Engine Removal

Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
Hey everyone,
well "gotsubarus" is on the way down here to florida with a engine for me to put in my car. I was just wondering if anyone who has experience with pulling the engine in the svx could possibly chime in here and tell me anything they know, and any tricky spots that might pop up along the way. I never pulled an engine before but i think between my friend and i and the service manuals, as well you all I should be able to do it. So if any of you have any tips or tricks please help me out. So far the only things i could find on here are: 1)Move hood struts back so hood stand almost vertical
2)remove the charcoal cannister
3)Possibly remove the throttle body so it doesnt get damaged by the chains...Is this a smart step to take or is it just an extra step???
4)SPray exhaust bolts with penetrating lubricant..

thanks again for any help
derek ( HOping to be driving my car by next weekend, keep your fingers crossed for me)
Those are great places to start. I removed the throttle body and I thought it helped a lot. Other tips:

Label the fuel injection hoses.

try your damndest not to have to remove the AC lines from the pump. It was cold when I swapped mine and even after warming the lines up with a halogen light, the rubber still was not flexible enough to move the pump out of the way without disconnecting the hoses. Since it is summer, that shouldn't be a problem for you.

before you install the new engine, take off an engine mount and go to the local hardware store and buy a section of metal tube that just fits over the bolts that go into the crossmember. Cut a section of tube and slide them over the bolts before you install the engine. that will prevent the threads from getting destroyed when you slide the engine down in place.

change the two transmission cooler lines below the brake master cylinder and the power steering passenger side return hose while the engine is out. They are both easily accessable when the engine is out and a pain in the butt when it is in.

Good Luck. It isn't really to tough. Just time consuming.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker