Thread: Brake kits
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 AM

Re: Brake kits

I don't disagree that the 300zx ones might be worth looking into, but you also have to compare the weight of the vehicles. I don't think the 300's were LIGHT, but I don't think they were as heavy as the svx, so I would still think that even though there are more pistons you may not get more stopping power out of it. And as was eluded to, you need ot take total piston volume into account or it can screw up your brake proportioning.

I found out that '06 mazda6 front rotors and calipers would bolt right onto my '89 mx6. So I did it because I needed brakes anyway, and I figured "Why replace when you can upgrade?" 11.5" vs. 10" rotors was a no-brainer to me. Well, they work pretty decent, but it has really thrown off the brake balance of the vehicle. It doesn't really bother me since I don't track the car, but the larger piston volume in the caliper just takes more time to fill, and messes with pedal feel/travel, as well as actual brake force applied.

And I also have no problem going with larger rotors for just the reasons you said.

I'm sure an "upgrade" from another car would work, but even if one WAS found to work, I still think there's a bit more to it than meets the eye.

That said, has anyone looked into vr4 front brakes? That would be the best candidate I would consider as far as vehicle sizing/performance braking. In the probe community it was found a few years back that vr4 brakes would fit with minimal work. With 12.2" rotors IIRC, same bolt pattern, it's a good place to start anyway.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!