Thread: Brake kits
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 02:50 AM

Re: Brake kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
I really don't think that modifying stock brake systems from other cars to fit our car is the best idea either. Even if someone WERE to get, say... 300zx brakes to fit, what would that gain you? The rotors are no larger than ours (they still have to fit a 16" wheel, right?) And the calipers wouldn't be much better either, would they? I mean, pretty much any other performance car than ran a 16" rotor was much lighter than the SVX. Now, I realize that a lot of people who WOULD want a BBK would probably have 17" or 18" wheels anyway, but that still means adapting something to the car from something else.

If you could find an aftermarket kit that fit from another car, you might be in business. But for now, I still saw the best BUDGET option is SS lines, drilled rotors, new DOT4 fluid, and pads of your choice. Now, you could piece together your own kit from say USbrake, Brembo, Stoptech, etc... but that's not for the faint of heart either.

The only actual bolt-on alternative is the Movit kit.

Sorry if I brought up something that's been gone over. I kind of just "skimmed" the post.
Rotor size isn't everything. The 300zx turbo brakes for example, while smaller diamiter, use a 4pot caliper. Its also a far more common setup so you have better pad and rotor options. I don't know piston sizing but they might have more actual stopping force despite the smaller rotor.

I am personaly a HUGE fan of more more more rotor even as it pertains to buying the "crap" chinese rotors that just happen to be cast far thicker than the OEM stuff for some cars. More mass = less heat issues. That said a smaller diamiter rotor will cut off a non-trival amount of rotating and unsprung mass. Fixing thermal issues with better calipers, pads, rotors, lines and fluid is easier than finding a couple lbs a corner in unsprung mass.

Just depends on what you are looking for. Cheap upgrades like heavy rotors and ok pads are best for daily drivers. Expensive pads, fluids, lines, etc best for those either under rules restrictions or only need a modest amount more performance there. Converting to the 300zx setup would be the next level above that or perhaps on par depending on difficulty and cost. Full aftermarket kits if done right are the step above that.

Last edited by XT6Wagon; 11-29-2010 at 03:01 AM.