Thread: Tps
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2003, 10:14 PM
ww111

Jeeze you're pushy!

<< Was the contact pressure adequate do you reckon, or had the SS backing lost some tension ???????????>>

I really have no way of knowing. There is so little current here I would think that even marginal pressure would be acceptable. My guess is that the contact pressure was adequate

<<Now that you are aware of exactly what is involved, do you think the back cover portion could be cut off say with a fine hack saw blade to be replaced using epoxy or other suitable adhesive. P.S. and if possible exactly where should the cut be made ????????????>>

If I had to do it again, I'd do it the same way. That way no material is lost in critical diminsions, and a little rtv or epoxy and everything is back to normal. Photos of the cut to follow

<<The saw would remove some material and so reduce internal clearance but if this a factor possibly reinforced gap filling glue or a gasket may get over the problem. P.S. Is it possible to achieve restoration of the cover granted some dexterity and basic skills ???????>>

Yes, I think you could remove the TPS, take it apart, clean it, put it back together and replace it. BUT, from inspection, I think the failure mode is a wearing of the conductive track. and there is no repair for that.

<<P. S. Is it possble that the damage you presume you caused in respect of one bifurcated contact was in fact not something you did, but rather an existing fault in the unit and which gave you the cause for its replacement P.S. Was there evidence of severe contact wear. ????????>>

I think it was, in fact, my heavy handed approach to the disection. There was some wear on the "outside" track visible on the "good bits" picture in the lower right

<<"The object of the exercise was to find out the actual cause of malfunctions. If contact pressure is the common problem it should be possible to fix this. The mechanism is very simple and on the basis of my experience I see no reason why a good handy man should not be able to restore contact pressure. This could save members money and who knows replacements may become scarce.>>

Like I said, this isn't a current dependent device. More than likely in the MA range. I think contact pressure has a minimal effect. This was a mechcanical sensor operating in a rough environment from 0 deg F to 200 deg F for 100K miles or around 3000 hours. I'd suspect it was at the end of it's designed life

<<Sorry to trouble you with more queries, but it would be a pity not to take full advantage of the trouble you have already gone to and the opportunity you have provided.>>

No problem.
Collins