View Single Post
Old 05-21-2004, 12:27 AM
SVX Appeal

Generally things like that don't just break. I repaired a similar problem on a VW engine mount. The boss on the aluminum transmission case broke off. The reason it broke was because one of the three bolts that held it on was missing. Check for loose, damaged, or missing parts.

The solution was to weld a big blob of metal to the broken boss, carve it to the right shape with a file, and then drill a hole in it. You should be able to find someone who can do this for you for less than $100. (Which kinda stinks, but isn't that bad.)

Try the JB Weld first. A welding supply shop should have special chemicals for preparing a surface to be welded. For welding aluminum, it's crucial that the surface be absolutely clean. The chemicals they use for this also work very well to clean a part prior to gluing. I use MagnaFlux SpotCheck for this. First I use the Penetrant, then the Remover. Good stuff. Brake cleaner does work well also. Mix the JB Weld very thoroughly, as this is a common reason for it failing to perform.