View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 03:37 PM

Re: Old Top Gear - Subaru SVX Review

Well - you be surprised to hear that TOP GEAR have on many occasions applauded Subaru Cars and Hammond has actually owned a Subaru MV Pick-up (BRAT)
I know that one is used often on film shoots and is well respected by the entire team !
I have not seen the clip yet on the SVX but would advise Top Gear always criticise what they review.
Final note - ANY Englishman who knows his cars - respects all things Subaru !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
Edit: Below rant is mostly about english motoring press, not all englishmen in general and "our" englishmen in particular.

The english hate Subaru. Only the STIs were ever good enough for them and only because they were cheap and great performance cars. There's little snow in England and it's deeply rooted in their culture to choose the most laborous and self torturing solution (like manhauling instead of motorized transport). In other words, a French car is a much more attractive proposition to them.

Of course, any english car or car built in UK (Vauxhall (=Opel/GM), Honda etc) is always bloody perfect (native english cars) or really good (badge engineered or Honda).

English motoring press have thrashed the BRZ and love the 86... for a nuance that's all about taste in handling.

A fair shaped SVX does not expend 8.6 sec 0-100.. unless the trans was in ECO mode. You can see the instruments if you bother to position yourself better and the steering wheel better. The window splitter beam is not annoying unless you're taller than most people etc etc. Some valid criticism is just fine, but downright stupid and faulty ones not.

Maybe I'm just a nerf, a zealot, an anorak, but this review was quite coloured by the typical english attitude towards Subaru.
1996 SVX - Red with Black Roof
1992 MV Brumby Brat - Red (much modified)
1990 MV Brumby Brat 2" lift and big wheels
2012 Outback Diesel - my daily
2002 Forester Sport - wifey's daily
2014 Ossa TR250i Trials Iron - weekend fun !