View Single Post
Old 03-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhl0125
My 3rd andd 4th gears were flaring and racing. I took it to my local tranny shop (reputable) and they said that third gear was in shambles and they rebuilt the entire tranny. Shortly after taking delivery it happened again. They put in a new speed sensor and an TCU. I took delivery again and in less than a 100 miles it flares going into 3rd and the RPMs shoot up 1000-1500 to go into fourth. Because of the motor racing I am getting 10 MPG instead of the 20-23 I was getting. The shop is at a loss at what else to look at. I need to give them some advice. They said they replaced the clutch transfer plates. Please.....what can I suggest to them to look for?
Hi Michael, you say it flairs going into 3rd and 4th. When it is in 3rd, does it have any slipping, or is it only when it changes into 3rd that it flairs?
The problem could be either the brake band, or the high clutch.

If it is the brake band, it will flair going into 3rd, but run OK when it is in 3rd. In 4th it will flair when you try to accelerate.
If it is the high clutch, it will slip when you accelerated in 3rd or 4th gear.

It won't be the Transfer clutch, the speed sensor or TPS. They just haven't done the job properly. To say that "third gear is shambles" is not on, 3rd gear is the high clutch, so is 4th gear?.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.