View Single Post
Old 09-19-2002, 11:43 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Young
If you carry the remote in your pocket, it's possible that there's enough pressure on the button(s) to activate the remote, which would drain the batteries pretty quickly. I've had my doors unlock while I was approaching the car with my keys still in my pocket. I gotta lay off those Twinkies. Try looser trousers, or keep the remote in your purse.

The '92 owner's manual says you get better performance from the remote if you hold the remote with the keys hanging down. On mine, the metal of the key ring actually contacts a small metal strip inside the casing - my theory is that letting the keys hang down is supposed to turn the ring and keys into an antenna and boosts the signal. However, given what I really know about radio signals, I could be all wet.

I also have the Batteries Plus batteries, which are still working great after 4 whole weeks. Not exactly a rigorous test.

First, we now know that there is something good to come from the "Loose Fit" craze.

Secondly, not only does the metal of the key ring touch a small metal strip, there's a small black wire that goes to the circuit board that is (or should be) attached to that strip. You might check to see is that wire is still soldered to the metal strip.

Another trick many of us have tried (and have looked like fools doing it, but it works), is, with the keys dangling, touch the butt end of the remote to your chin. It actually extends the range of the remote. I know, I know, but you should have seen about five of us, standing in the parking lot of the Morgantown Holiday Inn, at Reading II, walking across the parking lot with keys dangling from our chins. So, the method has been tried, tested and proven.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI