View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neogenesis
What does reliable mean to this car? Do I need to do repairs every 6 months or so?
Depends on how the car you buy has been treated. My first SVX needed typical SVX stuff when I bought it (radiator, rear wheel bearings, hoses), but since then, in nearly 40,000 miles, the only part failure I've experienced was the crank pulley, and I noticed it going bad and got a replacement before it let go. But, I lucked-out and got a car that clearly had been maintained well and not routinely thrashed. And while I do stretch her legs from time to time on an open highway or twisty back road, I'm a fairly sedate driver and rarely push the car anywhere near its limits.

(Edit: Oh, and I replaced the ECU temperature sensor to correct a cold-starting problem; $15/5 minutes.)

I agree that an SVX probably isn't a great choice for a beater, largely because so many of those on the market have already been beaten to death. But the fact is, ANY 10-15 year old car with 100k+ on the odometer is liable to need a periodic infusion of cash to keep it on the road.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 09-07-2006 at 06:20 AM.