Thread: Cold Air Intake
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 08:53 PM

Registered SVX
It might (And a very big might.) be possible to use a substitute regulated 10 volts with the two sensors in series, provided, there are no common connections involved. The 10 volts supply would not represent a problem.

However, I reckon that even thinking about it is a waste of time, considering the chance of any real performance gain. Whatever, this write up may help the thinking:-

Mass Airflow Sensor.

MAF measurement is achieved by heating with a constant electric current, an element comprised of wire/gauze/grid whatever, suspended in the intake air stream of the engine. The electrical resistance of the wire/gauze/grid, element, increases with the temperature, which limits electrical current flowing through a circuit of which it is part. When air flows past the wire, the wire cools thus decreasing its resistance, which in turn allows more current to flow through the circuit. As more current flows, the wire’s temperature increases until the resistance again reaches an equilibrium.

N.B. The amount of CURRENT required to maintain the wire’s electrical resistance at an equilibrium, is directly proportional to the mass of air flowing past the wire.

If air density increases due to an atmospheric pressure or temperature change, but the moving air volume remains constant, the denser air will conduct more heat from the wire, so that as a result, higher mass airflow will be indicated thus offsetting what could otherwise constitute an error.

When installed in the SVX..

It will be seen that a heater is involved which requires constant voltage at battery level, applied when the ignition switched is turned on. There should be 10 - 13 volts between MAF terminal 1 and 3 or ground. With the engine running, the voltage should increase to 13 -14 volts.

With the engine running at idle there should be 0.8 - 1.2 volts between terminal 4 and 3 or ground, this being the signal voltage.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!