View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 07:13 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Right, I've read all the technical discussions on the subject. Most talk about sludge build up, increased water turbulence, localized overheated, inability for the radiator to absorb heat (coolant moving too fast through radiator) etc.

Fully aware that the thermostat is there and needed for optimal combustion and fuel economy. I would'nt dare say I have more technical knowledge then the engineers at Fuji Heavy Industries. Practical experience? Well, that's a different story alltogether.

In my opinion, the difference between the engine running at 210F and 180F, in a Subaru engine, in the summer, is negligible. I drove my '86 gl for over 150,000 miles with no thermostat in the summer (Summer only). This was after replacing clutch fan, electric fan, thermostat sending unit, water pump, thermostat, and radiator. The car would simply get too hot in the summer in traffic. FYI, I sold it in perfect running condition after over 15 years of faithful service.

I'll give you guys a temp reading with and without the stat using an Infrared Pyrometer. You can draw your own conclusions from there.