Thread: Scrub Radius
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 12:42 AM
SVX Appeal

I wasn't entirely in agreement either. How scrub radius would influence tire wear, I have no idea. I think he's smoking somethin'. Admittedly there's still quite a few aspects of suspension geometry I don't have a firm grasp on. ...yet.

I think the original design is quite good. For an experienced driver that wants a little more liveliness from their car however, tweaking things can certainly provide that effect. I notice that when the car encounters adverse conditions of pretty much any sort really, it does a mighty fine job of taking care of things all by itself. The problem is that many of those 'adverse conditions' are deliberately induced by the driver. (That's me.) When I purposely throw the car into a corner too hot, or throttle on over a rise, I want the car to behave badly. I find myself counter-correcting to maintain these induced behaviors. Other times, when the 'adverse conditions' are not intended, the car corrects for itself, but always a little more or less than I'd like. In that case, the problem is that I never know how much it's going to correct and how much I need to assist or counter-correct. (It's much like trying to balance something while somebody is randomly tugging on your sleeve.)

If the car just demanded that I take full control of all the necessary corrections, I'd be fine with that, but the current geometry is constantly meddling with every little input I give it. Has anyone every gently modulated the brakes or throttle when somebody in the passenger's seat is trying to drink from an open top container just to mess with them? I think it's really funny, even if it does mean risking them spilling their drink in your car. I feel like the car is doing the same thing to me with the steering, except it's not so funny anymore. ...well actually it is, but not from my perspective.