View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by SEA Sleeper

I'm not so sure that this microscopic dust thing can really have any problems attributed to it. Of course some dirt can be introduced where and when the bulb is inserted, but to claim that this adversly affects (kills) the optics is not true in my opinion. There's a reason there is an O-ring on the base of the bulb; to keep moisture and dust out. The only wear factor I see present possibly affecting our headlamps is the type of plastic used for the lense.
All capsule based headlights have a rubber vent tube to allow pressure equalization inside the headlamp. That lets in dirt, oily air, chemicals, etc. The chemicals eat away at the reflective coating and you lose efficiency.

I recently replaced both headlamps on my wife's BMW. What a huge difference it made. The cutoffs are crisp again and the intensity is back. They are also 9006 projector based units.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker