View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Engine block heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
We had a couple of -22°F nights this week. I was wishing all my vehicles had block heaters. It's much easier on the equipment and you get heat a lot faster. They start but they don't like it.
Exactly! I attached my OBD2 reader and monitored the temperature. I was at 69F before it started. After starting it dropped quickly to 64F. I assume it was losing heat to some colder spots in the block. Once it starting to tick back up, I figured I was good to go. The car started better and I got heat quicker. I still drove like a granny until it reached normal operating temperature but at least I knew that the block was at a reasonable and somewhat uniform temperature before I started driving.

My old school local mechanic (as opposed to the old school WV mechanic) swears that they see a lot more head gasket jobs in the spring and summer following a harsh winter because people push their cars too hard before they are fully warmed up. I witness this behavior every day. People are in an awful hurry to get wherever they are going. Personally, I like to be aware of my surroundings and enjoy them as I take nice easy starts and stops as well as when I am cruising at a nice steady and reasonable speed. People miss their lives as they are trying to race through it in an effort to somehow prove something.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything