View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: "DeAd" battery.. intermittent.. ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
I put the old solenoid wire back on.. Works fine.

I like the idea of your MOD! But, looks like I'll have to use the old circuit until someone finds out why my car shuts engine off (revs a little first).. when the MOD is in place .. and the shifter is put in N or P .. WHILE CRUISE ON (???)

Please explain in simpletons terms why low resistance across 85-86 wud cause starter to engage (with MOD + Cruise ON + N or P) .. . ?

Thanks, Jim
OK if you look at the diag, you can see the Cruise Control Inhibitor relay at the top.
This is powered when the cruise is on, but is not grounded till the shift lever is put in P or N, then power flows from the CC through the relay windings through the diode, shift inhibitor switch, to ground through the starter solenoid windings. This turns the relay on, to turn the CC off.

If the new starter relay has too higher a resistance, the small current flowing from the CC, will turn the new relay on, to work the starter.
The new relay has to have a low enough resistance, to need a lot more current than the CC can flow, so that the CC current won't be enough to turn the new relay on, to hit the starter, but will still flow enough to turn the CC off.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.