View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 12:44 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
First thing first, look at what tires are on the car.

I'm serious. If the car doesn't have a good all season tire it won't be able to do much of anything in the snow. I know, I had "summer only" performance tires on my car the first time it snowed. Let me tell you, it wasn't all that fun sliding around on my entire drive to work. If they are summer only tires than you should try and pick up a set of cheap wheels (winter wheels so they could be stock, steel wheels, or aftermarket ones) and a set of dedicated snow tires.

A lot of people will scoff at this and say why in the world would I need two sets of tires, and let me tell you... Those people have never driven a car with dedicated snow tires. They are amazing (by the way, I ordered some two days after our big snow here in chicago), as well as freeing up your summer tires to offer better performance as well. you don't "lose" money this way, as you can stretch each tire almost twice as many years as you would an all season, because you're using them only half as much.

Also, the SVX has a very good AWD system, however it is a bit outdated. Newer cars have slightly more advanced traction control systems, as well as better differentials to split the power. On an SVX if you're in really slick ice you could have only one front and one rear tire spinning. Theoretically both rears should spin, and most often will, however occasionaly (due to the type of differential) the lack of grip that one tire has is SOO bad that it can spin without the other tire getting any power.

An SVX with summer tires will EASILY get stuck on an incline with snow (believe me, I would know). Put on a good set of all seasons, or dedicated snow tires and you shouldn't have that problem. I think that this is much more likely than your differentials being damaged.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker