View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Actually there is good reason to do the internals. A bunch of them.
1)the gasket/seal kit is the most expensive set of parts in an eg33 overhaul
2)head gaskets and valve seals go bad with time not miles
3)the rod bearings are tri-metal...what that means is the friction surface is a very very very thin layer of metal ontop of other metals there just to maintain shape..once that thin layer gets worn through the bearing immediately starts wearing the crank pin, making heat, and the heat pulls like a hot weld when it cools and bends the crank
3)pistons are hard to get and if you overhaul your engine before the rings compeletely go bad you won't need to get new pistons

If you overhaul your engine instead of just doing the external stuff you will be good for another 150,000 miles.

Our cars are at that age where the engines need to be overhauled. For the last few years people have been putting in 96-97 engines from wrecks instead of overhauling their engines. That's becoming less and less feasible every day. Now I've not only made performance engine parts available but publicly listed the quality after market parts to enable everyone to inexpensively overhaul their stock engines.

I know a lot people aren't able to overhaul their own engines but hell you could drop your car off with SVXfiles and let him do the whole job start to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
My daily conclusion (because it changes at least that often) is that I will probably pull the engine, but just do the seals I know need doing. I'll do external, peripheral things, but stop short of pulling the engine apart. That means the seals, water pump, oil pump, etc. I won't do engine internals.

The engine is working well, and I put very few miles on it these days, so I expect it to be working well for years to come. It doesn't burn oil, so there's really no reason for me to replace the rings and pull the heads apart.

I am, however, tempted to buy an engine off eBay to have a spare.