View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Re: Anyone given any thought to the next Reading Meet

Okay, I'm late to the party on this thread - some really interesting stuff being pontificated here.
It is always interesting to me that a few bad choices of words can set people off - in the wrong direction at that. I think Larry III had it down pretty well - a calm voice amidst the rage (on both sides of the issue).
HUSKY, I for one appreciate your trying to improve the READING situation, and I do appreciate too that you perhaps did not realize how passionate many are about READING. SVXFILES forgot ONE instance / happening: John poring Earl some more wine - INTO AN EMPTY BEER CAN! That was and is a great photo!
And Randy, that was the most excitement I have seen from you - ever! And it was cool (can I still use that word at my age? ). But that said, I loved you sticking up for READING! And I am with you - I'll be at READING each year - only medical events have kept me home over the years and I am sitting up taking nourishment this days.
BUT I have to say, enough of picking on John. He, like the rest of us is not perfect (but his engine compartment is close!), but he has taken the initiative to make READING happen for oh so many years! And he should be given credit for such. I think I know what the issue was with the Pace Car, etc, but I don't think many at all have any idea what it took for John to get the car there to start with and it was iffy up to the last minute. Imagine the outrage if it had been promoted and then Subaru decided to NOT come - a lot of pissed off people, I would imagine. My point here is that anyone organizing anything (especially a meet like this) will work their tail off to make it happen and most people will have no idea about what it takes to pull it off. And if someone wants to help and are put off, make an issue of it at the time. Like Larry III said, we are a family, and if we can not be upfront with each other, then we probably won't get a great deal done.
That's about all I have to say, except I have a RURITAN Club Car Show (the 5th Annual Show) coming up here in Stephens City, VA on AUG 4. Most years I have been one of perhaps three imports on display among good ole American iron (like a 1943 Lincoln Zeffer V-12 in mint condition), but I still get LOTS of curious folks around the car. Wouldn't it be cool to have 10 SVXi to show up! But we would NOT call it READING ....
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx