View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 04:45 AM

Registered SVX
Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Trevor, with all due respect to your thinking and judgement, and we all know that your reasoning is without doubt logical. But wouldn't you think that for a high performance EG33 you should be shooting the other way around? Instead of pausing restriction on the "higher" flowing end, why don't you amplify the "less" flowing end? Your performant EG33 will require more cooling in that sense.
Restricting the right side by a quite small amount, will result in the left side being increased. An adjustment of balance is involved, not a simple overall reduction. Evidence does not suggest a lack of flow and the opposite could be the case.

Coolant circulating too quickly, was the accepted diagnosis, in respect of the old flat head V8 Ford. This I know because in the early 1950s, I did very well in club competitions, using one of these engines in an AC sports car of 1935 vintage. Incidentally, a fan was not used and the car also served as family transport.

Quote:
This is what I am thinking about, a system where you can have twin water pumps without any resistance or restrictions, each cooling one bank and both of them equal in performance to the OEM pump. This way you will cause cooling balance inside the engine.

Trevor, can you show us a diagram about this V8 you are talking about? Or is it general to all Ford V8's?
There is absolutely no way, anything resembling the arrangement used on the Ford could be replicated. For a start there is not room for separate outlet tubes for each side. A quick look will show why the designer had problems with space. As I pointed out, this is exact reason for the existing set up.

The Ford dual pumps were far too efficient and the cure was to reduce this quite radically. Drill all the rotor blades, or knock off every other one. Cast iron made them easy to break. Water at high pressure and full of air, is not an efficient coolant. Recesses are passed over, pockets are formed and hot spots result.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 09-18-2009 at 04:47 AM.