View Single Post
Old 07-09-2005, 08:32 AM
red95svx

I agree with Beav. Even though you were only hit on the right side, it is very possible that your left sensor was activated by the sudden decelleration. The sensors can only activate once, and then must be replaced. Same for the SRS computer. If memory serves me right it has an onboard G sensor that can only go off once. Besides this is your safety we're taking about! Yes it is expensive, but I'd rather hit an airbag than a steering wheel! The next time you get into an accident (which hopefully will not happen) you'll be glad you spent the money and can walk away......

As far as the airbag going off during replacement: this is very, very rare, esp. if all suspect components have been replaced. Disconnect the battery and wait a half hour or so before doing anything (the SRS computer stores backup power to fire the airbags in case of power loss during the accident, but it doesn't last long). Check with the service manual for full details.

One thing to keep in mind: if your "Airbag" light comes on, the system goes into safe mode and completely shuts down. It WILL NOT fire airbags in an accident if that light is on. So no matter what you chose to do, make sure the light does not turn on after it's initial diagnostic check!! And yes, removing a sensor will cause a code and the light will come on.

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 07-09-2005 at 08:39 AM.