View Single Post
Old 06-16-2006, 08:18 AM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Nice story but birds do not enslave a species, denying it of any kind of pleasant life, however short-lived.
They also do not have the capacity or any means whatsoever to build a device solely for the destruction and eventually mass consumation by other members of it's flock.
Another side-effect of such a puny brain is the incapacity for evil deeds, such as intentional, cold-blooded torture and trophy killing.

Mushrooms for all we know are not sentient.
Now I wouldn't call having the possibility of living in fear each time one flies out even inches away from a tree every night a pleasant life, but I do admit it is still better off than cattle who are born into a meager existence in most cases since day one.

Also if those birds had a large and as densely packed population as humanity they may need to seek a away to efficiently kill and dare I say even breed their pray in order to feed it to their masses. The problems lies with the fact that as humans do this we start to look the animals we farm to say the least as a commodity rather than creatures, whom like the video states are knowingly sentient, they are. The only way I can see what we can potenitally do that would make most happy would be to start cloning organs and genetically fabricating muscle tissue on the cellular level. But then that would raise moral issues on if organs can't feel pain on their own, consider they do have nerves which even though need to relay messages to the brain in order for the animal to contimplate pain it still sends something whilst being wounded.

On a side note I do agree that animal experimenting has virtually no merit in science today.