View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 07:58 PM
mark10t

<<Also, one other thing I've noticed is the SVX tends to slide easier than most cars. I used to have a little Honda that I could fly around corners on snow-packed streets. It would slide for a few seconds, then staighten out. The SVX, on the other hand, keeps sliding untill you hit something. Well...Based on my experience it does.>>

Sounds like you've had some pretty sucky tires on your SVX. I've had my SVX for about 5 years now and I've had all sorts of Subaru's since 1981, so I've experienced front wheel drive, on-demand 4WD, AWD, etc. on summer tires, all-season tires and winter tires. The performance of my SVX is significantly better with good winter tires (I've got a set of 'summer' tires/rims as well). Right now I'm using some Pirelli Winter Ice Asymetrico's which 'bite' very nicely and are VERY quiet (for a winter tire). My only regret is that the company that had the really good closeout deal didn't have anything but a 225/50-16. I really wanted to narrow up the profile a little in the winter by going to a 205/55-16. The very wide 'shoes' the SVX normally wears work against it in the snow.

The Honda you reference probably had some (relatively) skinny rubber on it. I used to do some amazing things in the snow years ago with VW 'Baja' bugs- rear-wheel-drive with most of the weight on the rear (driven) tires.

Come back and tell us about the transformation of your SVX in the winter after you've had a chance to experience some good winter rubber.

Havin' fun with my (daily driver) SVX in the snow-

-Mark