Thread: Slow start
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 07:29 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannarace928 View Post
I just swapped the battery from my teal and polo, as the battery in the polo is new. I'll be driving it around tomorrow to see if that does anything. If it doesn't i'll take a video of the starting problem. And post up the "receipts" of the battery/alternator tests.

I could write a book on all the problems this car has given me.

I was kinda thinking along the lines of maybe the alternator is working intermittantly. Unfortunately I can't swap the Alternators as there is a broken bolt on the Polo's Alternator. I actually can't get it off of the car.

Only other thing I can think of that has happened is, about 1-2 weeks ago I came to a stop light after driving about 3 miles from home and the car died. It took a long time to start back up that time as well. That was the first and only time it has ever died while driving, i'm not sure if it is related to the problem or not.

It doesn't really have any other problems except the steering "goes out" occasionally. I was told my rack is bad causing that.

I'll post more info tomorrow.
There have been cases recorded in the past where tests by “experts “ have not disclosed intermittent alternator faults.

When you say the car “took a long time to start back up that time as well”, at the time did the starter motor crank at normal speed? If so alternator and battery faults can surely be ruled out.

If there is a cranking problem the alternator could be involved. You now report power steering problems, which makes one suspect a possible loose drive belt. Easy to check and rule out.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!