View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 02:02 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
The super high voltage from the defective regulator in the alternator provided the voltage through the fuse and blew the fuse. The battery, of course, cannot produce high voltage because of the composition of the two different materials in the cells. The number of cells determine the voltage that a charged battery can provide. In this case, the battery was just along for the ride, as it always is whenever the motor is running and a working alternator is turning.
Hope this helps
Take care,
Keith
Keith,

Excessive current is required to blow a fuse, not an excessive voltage. The fuse link or any fuse can pass megavolts without opening. The only limitation in respect of performance being the surrounding insulation.

The fuse link has battery voltage positive potential at each end of the element, with the battery between the alternator and ground. Please explain how the alternator can induce current across the fuse element such that it will blow.

Hope this helps.

Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!