View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 02:42 PM

Re: Leaking Transmission, Replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
Hello Scotty,

I got a page asking me to log into a site I am not a member of when I tried to view the picture you posted so I haven't seen whatever you were showing. Without seeing I would guess that the fluid is coming from the vent on the top of the transmission. When these transmissions have a lot of fluid in them they overheat, the fluid expands, and it pours right out the vent. Your slipping clutches would make a lot of heat to contribute to that too.

You might want to consider one of my partial rebuilds. It's a little bit more money than a used transmission. It's a lot better transmission than a used transmission.
I edited the first post so the link goes to youtube so everyone can see it. I didn't know photobucket would only let users see it...

The transmission had 39K on it when I got it so it was pretty new. I guess it was too weak though, even at that low of a mileage. I would definitely consider your partial rebuild because I've only heard good things, but I the shipping probably wouldn't be cheap from Colorado to Florida and back again.

Since you are one of the transmission experts around here, I was wondering if you could tell me what I should check when I get the tranny out. Like what how to see if the TC is bad or if it's just a seal or if the tranny is toast, etc. I think it's a little more serious than the seal because this happened all of the sudden, and the transmission has such low mileage.

I'm not a mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined (resealed the engine, already did the transmission swap once). I wanted to see if you think it's possible to maybe rebuild the transmission myself, or if it's a more specialized, 'you have to have all the right tools' kind of job.