View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 02:47 AM

Leaking Transmission, Replacement?

So I thought I'd change the title of my thread as the focus shifted a little. Basically, my transmission or torque converter or something else was making an unexplained scraping noise. Then my transmission stated slipping; its seemed like a clutch going out in a manual transmission, but I'm not sure how that translates to autos... Then my transmission started leaking lots of fluid.

Here's what I found:
(note:The car was turned on a second before the video starts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js2HqPNXh-k

So maybe the TC is bad, or the seal is bad (only 6 bucks), or maybe something else. So either way, I'm taking out the tranny out

So I think my options are:

1) Take the car to a transmission shop, have them charge me way too much, but eventually figure it out.

2) Replace the seal and TC and hope everything works

3) I found a 2002 wrx auto with 80K for sale. I could swap it in and hope for the best. Is this tranny compatible?

4) Manual swap. Honestly I hate autos, but don't have the funds for the swap, so this really isn't an option

Some additional, potentially helpful info:

I replaced my transmission this summer with a 4.11. The only thing that wasn't working correctly when I installed the transmission was when I downshifted from drive to 3rd, the transmission wouldn't go into 3rd. It would drop the rpms to ~ 1000ish and start coasting, then jump into 3rd, then start coasting, then jump into 3rd, etc. So if I didn't downshift to 3rd, everything worked very smoothly.... Until now

So if anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or things to check i'd appreciate it

Last edited by ScottyB; 11-29-2009 at 02:21 PM.