Thread: power loss
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 12:06 PM

Trasmission probably not slipping at all.

Not necessarily slipping…probably not slipping at all. Is probably down shifting, therefore increased the RPM, but would definitely give the feel of slipping.
Lord only knows how long the life of your transmission will be but this is not a transmission problem.

This sounds too similar to the problem I had with my SVX that began a couple of months ago. The smell of gas… drastic loss of powers… the rpm increasing when trying to accelerate but not gaining speed. . The really weird noise that the engine makes…not just weird, but real, scary weird noise.

Mine always started easy, ran great and a mile or so later has epileptic attack (no offense intended) that literally feels like half the engine fell off. The first time it happened, was going up a grade and in the SVX spirit, I gave it the petal to the metal thing. Not just to be doing it, but I am always in a hurry. The rpm jumped almost to red line but no increase in speed... the car had no power, but made a real scary noise. I thought I had blown the transmission. Scared the tar out of me!

I took mine to the Subaru dealer almost 6 weeks ago and they still are working on it. It will be 6 weeks this coming Monday May 5- 2008 and 3 transmission replacements later, (maybe 4 ) they haven't called me in a week but are still trying to work it out. Great people over there. I really appreciate them. If I ever buy a non svx, it will be from them. (serious)

My transmission is still under warranty from a previous replacement almost 2 years ago and replacement is free. They certainly weren’t trying to sell me something I didn’t need. The dealer treats me great and I can certainly understand why a mechanic that sees only one or two SVX’s in a lifetime could have a problem. . They have been in touch with the Subaru factory people to get guidance.

It was not my transmission at all and I only briefly thought it could have been. I spent a couple of days trying to work out the real problem with help from the great people on this form. Some spring snow was coming, a cold-no heat garage for me... so I just flipped a coin and the Dealer lost! I took it to them.

Therefore, I would love to find out what is really going on with yours… Subie59, I encourage you to spare no expense in getting to the bottom of this and get right back to us as I patently continue my “hope of a cure”.
If you can work this out, I will get up a petition to get you, not one, but two of those STI thingies!!!

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 05-03-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: had to fix some stuff