View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Smile climate control color change

here is the walkthrough in which I used to get the climate control unit out.

I started by using the how to docs on how to take out the instrument panel. Then you follow all the steps until you get to # 7in which you stop there and DO NOT remove the gauge cluster. Take a look at the a/c vent that is above the climate control unit, that is your next thing to remove. Start by looking at the vent and look at the left side of it and you'll notice 3 screws which you need to take out. after that pull out the vent and you will see yet another screw that you must remove. I almost forgot there is a screw above the temp. reader on the unit that needs removed and that's all for the top. Next you will need to remove the cd cage which is held in by 3 screws once remove the unit is ready to be taken out. Carfully look behind the unit to your left and you will notice a black plastic hose, pull it off slowly so you dont crack or break it. Then the last thing will be disconnecting the to plugs on the left side of it.

Here are the pictures i took taking it apart. the number will match the number on the picture.

1-front view
2-top view (remove the 2 screws)
3-back view (reomve the screw and unplug the wire)
4-bottom view (remove the 4 screws)
5-right side view (remove the 2 screws)
6-carefully pry off the face plate and back of unit where the clip in so you don't break'em off
7-with a flat head screwdriver twist the lights to the left and pull them out(only twist them a 1/4 turn)
8-with the lights out pull off the little green caps over the lights
9-with the lights out remove the 5 screws and carefully pull the circut board out
10-this is the front of the circut board you just removed, my plan was to remove the lights and replace them for red but the light you pulled out earlier couldn't be changed and the lights you see here are green and when you press the buttom beside them they change orange (dual colored light) which you cannot change
11-the panel that has the buttons on it that you press to change a/c and stuff the buttons need to be pryed off with a flathead at the bottom of the outside of button. you will see a tiny white clip which will break when you pop it off but don't worry if you are uneasy about this super glue the button back on.
12-now i was a bit sceptical about this but it works get some stained-glass paint and cover the inside of the white bracket behind the button if you look on the back of it you will see a clear plastic piece in there this is what you whant to cover with the tape.Pull the clear piece out and paint the part that you cant see.Sorry no picture for this one.
13-now the face plate, this all you do is paint the area with the stained-glass paint of your color chioce.

now the only thing left to do is put everything back in reverse order uhhhhhhhhhhhh......

to make sure you did a good job after you assemble the conrol unit just reconnect the 2 plugs back in the car and turn on your interior light to see if you got them covered better if you look at lights in pitch black so you you can make adjustments if neccessary. Hope you enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (480.2 KB, 836 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (129.0 KB, 695 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (107.4 KB, 609 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (105.9 KB, 628 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (126.6 KB, 697 views)
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress

Last edited by redlightningsvx; 08-15-2007 at 12:02 AM.