View Single Post
Old 04-29-2004, 04:49 PM
deruvian

Thumbs up

Weeeeeell, it appears as thought that small post was my problem.

With the alternator removed, I noticed that the post runs into some type of plastic bushing. The back of the bushing has a small circular cover on it. I removed the cover, and underneath it was a small nut. Apparently, this holds the bushing to a screw that runs into the body of the alternator. Once the nut was removed, I could pry off the bushing.

Since the bushing was essentially broken and useless, I sort of *smashed* it open. The post that broke on me simply turns into an eye terminal at the other end.

I put a small rubber gasket over the screw that held the bushing, put the "internals" of the bushing back on, put the alternator back on the engine, and rewired the alternator. Put the bracket and the belt back on, and checked the battery voltage. 12 - 12.5 = good. I crossed my fingers, started the car, and rechecked the battery voltage. 14.5 - 15 = good! I turned on most of the accessories (high beams, fog light switch, cruise switch, stereo w/ volume waaay up, rear defogger, hazard lights, map lights, and door lights. Rechecked the voltage, 14 - 14.5, almost 15ish = good! The battery and brake light indicator lamps stayed off as well.

Anyway, I'm glad I didn't have to toast $200 for a rebuild or $35 for a new bushing. Thanks for the help anyway guys.