View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Does anyone know how to "check" the alternator
With the car running, take a voltmeter to the positive terminal to a good ground. Should read somewhere around 15 volts.

Quote:
So, if my alternator is dying, what would be the best thing to do
Replace the alternator, charge your battery with a charger and see if it will hold a charge. If it does not, then you may need a new one. DO NOT charge a dead battery with the alternator or rev the engine when you first connect the new alternator. This will fry the rectifier. You can also check the battery by popping off the covers and checking the specific gravity of the dielectric in the cells.

Quote:
Is rebuilding an alternator just a bandaid fix, or is it pretty similar to replacing one?
A full rebuild would mean putting all new parts into the old housing. Sometimes a rebuild is just fixing the parts that are bad. Also, most new alternators are just ones that have been rebuilt. That is why there is a core charge when you buy a new alternator. They use your old one, put new parts in it, and sell it as if it were brand new.

Replacement alternators that I have looked at are around $230 and less amp output than stock. I have one of these in my car and it seems to run just fine. Lights may be a bit dim at idle, but not too bad. I usually read around 14v in the car. Can drop below 13 with all accessories running.

If you can get one rebuilt, get them do make it put out over 100 amps. The SVX really needs the extra power.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock

Last edited by SVXer95; 04-28-2004 at 12:30 PM.