View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 12:05 PM
deruvian

Very helpful info, UberRoo. Thanks.

I started up my car last night, and everything was fine... Until I turned on the headlights. The battery indicator lamp and the brake light indicator lamp both turned on. I am getting a voltmeter later today to check the battery voltage.

I should check it while the car is off, and then when the car is on, correct? This way I suppose I can compare the voltage difference to see if the alternator is still doing its job.

Does anyone know how to "check" the alternator? I've heard this phrase tossed around a few times. "Dude, you might wanna check the alternator."

So, if my alternator is dying, what would be the best thing to do? I'm an electrical idiot, but understand the concepts... Battery starts car, car runs alternator, alternator charges battery, etc, etc. Would replacing the alternator and the battery be in order? My battery is but a few days old, and I'm not planning on driving with the car in this kind of condition. So if I replaced the alternator or had it rebuilt very soon, the battery should be ok, correct?

Oh, and that reminds me: Is rebuilding an alternator just a bandaid fix, or is it pretty similar to replacing one? Are the differences in cost anything substantial?

Thank you much.