View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 09:34 PM

Re: hazard lights work but, blinkers don't!

i tried my parking light switch, and my parking lights came on, so i dont think it's unhooked.

whenever i press in the shift lever, there clicking sound down by the driver side dash. i think it is a relay.
would the factory security system, when i installed my radio the security was activated and did the locked the shift lever.
found this on a search.

There are several possible answers to this problem. First, check to see if you have brake lights. If not, check the fuse that supplies power to the brake lights. (my 2001 outback is #16 20amp located behind the coin drawer in the dash). If it is blown, replace the fuse and push on the brake pedal. If it blows again, you have a short in the system. Most commom fix is to replace all the brake lights. Sometimes they short out the system, blow the fuse and that will keep the car from shifting out of park. If the brake lights do not keep the fuse from blowing, it could be the brake solenoid located at the top of the brake pedal, or it could be the shift lock solenoid located to the right of the shifter under the cover. The easiest way to check these items is to unplug the wiring harness one at a time and then replace the fuse and see if it blows when you press on the brake. My fix was the shift lock solenoid. It isn't super hard to replace and can be found online or at a local wrecking yard.
I have a '94 Subaru Impeza and I took all the plastic parts out from around the shifter and on the right side is the locking pin that rises and falls when you pushed the button. This tends to get dirty and sticks. Clean as much as possible and spary WD-40 or silicone. It will take care of the problem.

I also found that if you have a weak battery or bad battery connection this can also cause the same issue.

Last edited by kjoyes; 05-29-2012 at 12:37 PM.