View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 02:29 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Gotta draw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartracing View Post
I did disconnect my neg. cable too...and connected the neg. probe to the neg. cable red to the positive right????
Close, but not quite what you needed to do.

Whatever you do, don't set it to Amps and measure across the battery terminals!

As Keith said, the meter will be completing the circuit with the car and battery. The meter will be acting like a plain piece of wire.

Again, make sure everything in the car is turned off, ignition key off, doors and trunk closed. Roll down a window ahead of time if you'll need to reach or look inside.

The meter probably only handles 10A max, so you'll blow the fuse in the meter if you have any large-current devices running (headlights, fans, horn, etc.).
  • Disconnect the car's negative wire from the battery.
  • Set the meter to a medium mA scale, perhaps 200mA to start.
  • Connect the meter's Black lead to the negative post on the battery.
  • Connect the meter's Red lead to the car's negative wire.
  • Leave the car's positive wire connected to the positive post on the battery, and don't touch that with anything else.
  • If the meter reads zero mA (or some tiny value less than one), you can keep bumping it down to the next lower scale until you get a value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartracing View Post
The only thing i see on , is the clock and the light around the ign. switch.
Umm, the light around your ignition switch turns off within a minute after you close the door, right?