View Single Post
Old 10-05-2002, 04:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to IwantaSVX Send a message via AIM to IwantaSVX
I've already had him do some checking for me at News. His cost for a rebuilt transmission is $2200. I think labor would be around $500 and I would probably check the condition of the halfshafts ($300/each). Take into account these prices are 10% over the dealership's cost. If I went in and asked about a transmission I'm sure it would be at least $3K maybe more.

Take this silver '92 for a ride. Check for any lag and/or flare in the 2-3 and 3-4. My friend got his '92 with 80K on it back in March. It now has 99K. For the last few thousand it has had a 2-3 flare and its about ready to give up the ghost. Now, the 1st 2-3 shift after it has sat over night the transmission just revs and when you let off the gas it slams in gear. When they go, they go fairly quick. Also, take it real slow and make sure the 2-3 doesn't slam when you are barely giving it any gas. If the transmission is original with 170K stay away. I would guess you are lucky if an SVX tranny last 100K. So, even if the transmission has been done once at say 100K you might need to be replacing it again soon.