View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 05:56 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Opinions on good laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Bottom line, whatever your budget and whatever you buy avoid the Vista [non]Operating System like the plague.
Joe
Sorry to hear that Joe, Up until I bought my new computer a couple of months ago I had also hated the experiences that I had using it on both friends computers as well as on my mom's business laptop. On my mom's it actually crashed while installing SP1 but I was able to get it back running properly.
But now that I have it, I was able to go through and disable a lot of options and I also downloaded a trial of Tuneup Utilities 08 which also helps to easily find and turn off some settings that had been very annoying in my experiences. With a little exploration and changes it is actually a great OS. I also got a tower so that in case I absolutely couldn't stand it I could easily install a dual OS and have XP but I have had no complaints and haven't bothered doing that to this point.
Also one thing to point out is that I think it greatly depends on what version of Vista You are running and also to make sure you have plenty of memory. Even though Vista basic minimum is 1/2 gig and I believe The premium min is 1 gig, I firmly believe from experience that at the very least 1.5 gigs of ram is absolutely necessary. Also there are the 32bit as well as 64bit versions of Vista. My friends and my mom's computers all had the 32bit while mine has the 64bit. Just a bit of info to try and help.

-Nate