View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 06:57 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 90
Well..... It was cold here yesterday and the car is still verrrry hard to start!
So.... I pulled the codes.... 13 (Cam Angle Sensor) and 28 (LH Knock Sensor)....

Can the CAS be at cause?! (I guess it could...)

Anyone has experienced a bad Cam Angle Sensor???

Anyone has a spare one for sale??

I just want to avoid replacing the battery if not necessary ($$$)....
Joe, be wary of replacing sensors because of fault codes, until you are SURE.

By that I mean if the overall voltage is too low, or possibly some of your connections are corroded or making poor contact, it's possible the computer is storing these codes because these items are not able to send the correct values due to low voltage or bad connections. [These "bad" connections may not be an issue for the computer when the car is warmed up and all circuits are able to deploy current]

Just to check it out, is there any way you could clear the codes, and then start the car with a borrowed good battery on a very cold day? If the codes come up again with a good battery, THEN I would replace them for sure. I recently replaced one of the knock sensors on the SVX I sold. The old one was cracked. They probably wear out with time. It's recommended you replace BOTH knock sensors in the manual, exactly because of this age deteriorisation business.

Now that I think of it, if the CAS was giving faulty signals, it could interfere with the timing and cause fouling. Even so, it would still be wise to try starting with a good battery. Your problem could be a symptom of both low voltage and current, AND deteriorating sensors.

Hope that elucidates rather than confuses.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl