Thread: Whp?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast
What does one have to do to get hp to the wheels?
I have the 5spd, so, what?
what would a sport clutch and flywheel do? I was thinking ACT with the prolite flywheel, (the streetlite one is 12lbs, and they say the prois even lighter) Is that going to get power to the wheels? I really don't understand this so any non-joking replies would be nice.
By going to the 5 spd gearbox you have already removed the most significant power losing component in the transmission system.

A lightweight flywheel reduces the rotational inertia of the engine, so that the engine revs will more closely match the blipping of the throttle when the clutch is disengaged. This should enable faster gearchanges to be made and thereby reduce the amount of time that the engine is not accelerating the car because you've got the clutch pedal depressed.

The sport clutch should grip harder and faster than the standard one, with the result that even less time is spent with the clutch disengaged when changing gear.

None of this gains you a single additional horsepower, how could it?

All it does is enable you to spend a greater proportion of time with the clutch engaged and the engine driving the car.

The downside of this arrangement is that is now much easier to stall the car when pulling away from rest and that it becomes very much more difficult to drive the car smoothly.

Reducing the rotational inertia of the engine is not going to help much when the clutch is engaged, the major factor slowing the car's acceleration will now be the enormous weight of the car itself.

A lightweight pulley is going to be even less effective than a lightweight flywheel, there is very little rotational inertia in the pulley.

An underdrive pulley might liberate a couple of extra horsepower by reducing the parasitic load of the alternator etc. simply because you are now driving them slower, but it isn't going to to make a significant difference in everyday driving, and you run the potential risk of gradually developing a flat battery if you don't rev the car enough.