View Single Post
Old 06-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat??
Well, no joy in Mudville for me the other night

I'm looking for a solution that allows one to use both standard and coli-over springs. The coil-over springs have a much smaller inner diameter which is making this difficult. Tomorrow I break out the big guns (take it to my dad for review and noodling ) and see where it leads. He has a fantastic problem solving mind and much experience in a vareity of esoteric fittings so I am hopeful something may arise.

All that said, I believe I have a very cheap method for DA inserts with standard (ie stock, Mychailo, or K&B) springs using a selection of black iron pipe fittings. I'm slightly concerned about strength, but I believe that the only forces on the fitting components are those of trapping the insert in to the housing. As the insert is typically in compression to at least some degree and held in place, I would expect that the only serious force to the fitting piece would be if the car got airborne and the entire suspension, wheel, and tire weight were applied to the weld when the suspension reached full droop.

Todd
Todd,
Just in time for Father's Day Yeah, I was talking with Tom the Younger and he brought up the same issue with the coil-overs What if we went with a piece of tubing with internal threads and screwed the top inside the pipe? This way, we'd keep the OD constant. Probably just have to use one of those two peg spanners to tighten down the cap, as the rod coming out of the insert will be coming through the center of the cap.
As far as going airborne and seeing if things hang together, just leave that to me
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker