Thread: Loyal wagons?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2004, 04:43 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally posted by NapaBavarian
Are there other names that these cars go by, so far I have Loyal, GL-10, and GL. Also, was there ever a 2 speed transfer case? A friend of mine swears that there was, but I havn't seen one.
Yes, many, many of the 5-speeds from the mid to late 80's had dual range. It's a wonderful unit. It shifts on the fly, and because there's no center differential, it's very capable off-road. (Also, if you remove one front CV shaft, it's a hoot to drive around in RWD. Nothing like a mid 80's Japanese station wagon turning doughnuts in a wet parking lot.)

They used to be named in respect to the L-series. GL (middle of the line,) DL (low-end model,) and GL-10 (deluxe version.) There was also the RX, XT, and XT6, but they were also part of the L-series. Later on, they started calling them Loyales. The correct generic term for any of those vehicles is L-series, or L-body.

I didn't know the RX was available with such a neat transmission. I woulda swore such a thing never existed. RXs seem to be more rare than SVXs, so maybe that's why. (By the way, anybody near Puget Sound got one for sale, cheap? I'm in the market.)

I would also agree that the older motors are tough, but I find the power to be woefully inadequate, and thus, not a viable option. All Subaru motors seem to be reliable enough that choosing one over the other based on that criteria just doesn't sway me.