Thread: Autozone pads?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
From experience with heavy cars, both on and off the track, I'll tell you that you will get better braking without the slots and holes.

Think about this for a second. Pad is pushed against rotor, to use friction to stop. You're REMOVING friction area, and pretending that it will brake better. Slots do help keep the pad material "clean" and help escaping gasses, however in todays brakespads, both are negligable as far as braking performance.

Look at any of the touring cars racing today, all of them have solid rotors. Slots and holes (with emphasis on drilled being worse) do not have any advantage to blank rotors. If you want to spend money on rotors, get blank cryo treated ones, as they have been proven (at the track) to last longer. (I'm not really sure why cryo treating works, but it does)

Get the best street pads you can get, (I personally like the porterfields, however I doubt they make them for SVXes) blank rotors (cryo if you'd like) good fluid, and good brake lines. This combination will stop faster and last longer than any other.

And as for the "SVX was made to heavy for its braking system".... The braking system on the SVX was one of the best aspects of the car. It stopped from 60-0 in 114 ft, which was second to only the rx7 (110 ft) at the time (and the rx7 weighed almost 1000 lbs less I believe) SVXes have excellent brakes. The problem lies mostly within the pad choice, and proper maintanence. (and the weak front suspension as it dives when you brake)

Just as an added emphasis. Most people who track their cars (road race) and are still using the stock calipers will do the following. Larger CHEAP rotors (the stock Cobra 13" rotors are common) track pads, use and flush high temp brake fluid often, and use SS brakelines. This works for most everyone doing repeated 80-30-110-40-140-30-100-60 mph for half an hour straight. If this works for them, I think it will work for you. (substitute street pads for track pads to avoid bad cold braking)

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker