View Single Post
Old 10-21-2004, 09:29 PM
BoondockSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248

Now that's a good point. If you are going to compare the mustang to any chrysler, it should be the Challenger. Even that's a tad bigger, but comparing the little mustang and even the camaro to a Charger? My god...the Charger was a concrete barge. It needed the Hemi just to move.
Okay this is total BS. First off, the charger weighed a bit over 4000lbs. Heavy by today's standards, sure, but when your beloved camaro weighs 3700lbs, it's really not ALL that heavy. Secondly, the charger (and all b bodies, roadrunners, gtx, superbee, satellite, etc) moved quite well even WITHOUT the hemi option. In fact, the hemi kinda sucked unless you were a hardcore drag racer. The 440 with dual quads was a pretty close race, and in 1970 with the introduction of the 'six pack' carb setup, it was just as fast as the hemi in the 1/4 with a lot less hassle (valve lashing, etc). Even the smaller big block, the 383, put out 330hp, which isn't too shabby. Sure, a charger with a 318 sucks, I'll give you that....

Quote:
Also I think it's weird no one mentioned this, but the cars in that movie were prepped for the chase scene. Both the charger and mustang were given heavy duty suspensions and tires to handle the landings and road imperfections.
Link here:

http://www.hottr6.com/triumph/BULLITT.html

Both cars had their underpinnings shot peened and magnafluxed, but the mustang had more than just a suspension. It had milled heads, a fancy aftermarket ignition, HEADERS, and a new performance holley carb. But guess what? Here's a quote:

"I'll tell you this," said Max Balchowsky, "I was really impressed with the Mustang after I got done with it. I didn't think it'd make that much difference beefing it up. Later, we took both cars out and went playing around with them over by Griffith Park (near Los Angeles). The Dodge, which was practically stock, just left the Mustang like you wouldn't believe." Ron Riner has similar recollections. "The Charger ran rings around the Mustang. We trimmed the tires down (on the Charger), we practically made them down to bicycle tires to try and handicap Hickman, and Bill just run them."

Quote:
Considering the significant extra weight the Charger had behind it, it's no suprise it faired better.
Actually the extra weight is a total handicap. If you're smashing down on some concrete after a jump, a lighter car will fair much better, because the heavier one will have a lot more momentum to bottom out and smash against the pavement.

Speaking of weight, you were referring to lighter cars like the camaro/mustang/challenger being faster than the big ones.... not always. Some of the big detroit iron with serious engines are REALLY fast, a lot faster than the same type of engine in a lighter car. Why? It's easier to make them 'hook up' at the strip.

Anyway, this has been a trip into my childhood, sorry for the long post. :P

- Jim