View Single Post
Old 08-19-2001, 02:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100
Oh and I forgot to mention. Last I looked that VR6 is still making 200hp in the Passat, and they are still quite a bit faster than our SVX's. If your wife is saying 130hp is too slow, but one....she will have a huge grin on her face when you race her in your SVX and she kicks the crap out of you.

Ryan
Fater or quicker? I have a hard time believing a 200hp Passat can reach the high speeds an SVX can. Quicker I can believe, faster I have a harder time swallowing.

And about VW's build quality, I'd question that they're as well put together as you say. Have I owned one? No. But my wife is crazy in love with the Beetle, so I've driven a couple. Really well-finished car, but I've seen that after 30k miles they rattle and squeak like nothing else. Other than that I will say that I was really happy with the way the car drove. It felt very precise, the braking was nice and the auto shifted *perfectly*.

Am I going to have to buy one anyway? Of course. But then I own a garage queen that is hardly cheap to maintain, so I can't argue with cost-of-ownership.

A friend's father is also a VW mechanic with something like 25 years of experience and hates a few of the new VW models. His least favorite, apparently, is the Beetle because they spend so much time in the shop. I don't know about the other models, but the Beetle shares its platform with at least he Golf and the TT, right?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE