Thread: Stop Lamp???
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 01:34 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Stop Lamp???

Sorry, I misread the original post.

It's been a long time since I read the owners manual .

I've never seen the Stop lamp in operation (I don't even recall seeing it when first turning on the ignition).

For that matter, I've never had any of my marker, turn, or brake bulbs burn out. I think the low-beam headlights are the only exterior bulbs I've had to replace (and I've had the car since new).

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
The stop lamp checker uses the amperage difference between the trunk panel and the two body-mounted stop lights to determine if a bulb is bad. Very similar design to a GFCI outlet in your house.
Well, either the wiring diagrams are wrong (I wouldn't be surprised), or they changed the circuit.

The diagrams I have (I just checked both 92 and 96) show all four brake light bulbs plus the center "high mount" wired in parallel, with one side tied to ground and the other going into (and getting the +12V from) the Stop lamp checker module. That would imply that the module looks at the total current draw, and turns on the "Stop" warning lamp when the current goes lower or higher than some range it thinks is normal.

The diagrams show the module connects via a 4-pin plug (+12V in from brake pedal switch, control output to Stop warning bulb, ground, and +12 out to brake lights).