Thread: key wont turn
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 12:24 PM
simonton

ok i was just outside and messing around with the car...

The belt is definately not too lose... I jumpstarted the thing and there actually seems to be no problem when i turn the wheel now. The steering pump groans and whines a bit but its hard to say if thats not normal. The only thing i did since the car crapped out a few months ago was inspect some wires that were hanging above the steering column in the engine; the harness for the o2 sensor had been clipped to the frame in the engine, holding it away from the steering column, but that clip had broken and the wires were rubbing against the column. I didnt get a chance to really see yet if they are frayed where contact was made, i did notice a load of tape around one of the wires after i pulled the plastic coat of of them, which had been crushed and chewed up by the column. But i dont see any frayed insulation....

My check engine light has been on forever, and i had assumed it was an 02 sensor, now that i have unplugged the suspected shorting sensor, and pulled the wires away from the column, the check engine light is gone, seemingly along with the mystery short. But i dont really feel comfortable taking the car too far out of pushing distance from my house yet.

Does this sound like it could be the cause? or what were you saying about the horn sounding??? My horn never made a sound, and worked fine throughout this problem. If these wires were shorting on the steering column, could that lead to a blown battery? or is there a fuse somewhere that should have stopped that?