Thread: key wont turn
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 10:19 PM
simonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
When the steering wheel is locked, it puts a bit of pressure on the ignition key interlock. Try turning the wheel a bit in the opposite direction from where it's locked and turning the key at the same time.

As for the wiring problem, how did you determine that the battery gets shorted when the wheel is turned? Did you do some measuring or did you just turn the wheel and come out the next day to a dead battery and assume that was the cause?

KuoH

thanks i got it started...

Everytime i turn the steering wheel completely to one side (either side, not just one), my dashboard lights up like a christmas tree, and my gauges go a little crazy. At least thats how it starts.. eventually the battery light comes on and then the battery dies. But this only happens when the wheel is completely turned. I know its not the battery because ive gone through several...

Its not like the battery is dead the next morning either, it happens quite suddenly. When i dropped in a new battery, at first it seemed the problem was gone, but after a few hard turns, the lightshow started up again every time i fully turned the wheel. I then decided to just take it somewhere safe and stop driving it until i could really take a look at the electrical systems involved with the steering, and as i was making a left turn accross a busy intersection my gauges all went crazy, my lights dimmed, and the car died in the middle of the intersection. It was similar to what happend when my alternator went out, the battery isnt holding enough charge; but i only get a problem when Im turning the car. I can drive in straight lines all day long, and even make small turns, but its those 90 degree turns that kill it. I dont know if its really a wiring problem, or if there is some kind of intense resistence in the steering system. I dont know what could possibly cause so much strain to kill the battery so instantly unless there were some kind of short... unless somehow the steering pump is affecting my alternator??? they are on the same belt... but i dont see how thats really logical?

Last edited by simonton; 05-22-2006 at 10:27 PM.