View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 10:10 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
I have measured the new cams in comparison to the old. The do increase lift by 1mm. didn't measure the duration, i do not have the machinery to do so. i reiterate that the i believe th 7* retard was just us being about to use that profile and keep our peaks at the apropriate relation to TDC

Tom
Tom, machinery is not required. All I have used, like all those I know, is a home made protractor in the form of a large cardboard disk, attached to the crankshaft pulley and some kind of jerry rigged fixed pointer. Awkward to do on the SVX like everything else. (To be honest I don't know how you guys have the patience to work on the thing.) A mirror will help and you can make pencil marks, to be read after the protractor is removed. You will of course have to remove cam covers in order to view valve opening and closing and full lift points, which is another chore. A check on two valves should provide adequate confirmation.

You can also work off off the cam gear, taking the ratio into account, but have to be able to directly associate TDC.

Frankly, you are completely in the dark, unless you are sure of what you have by taking your own measurements.

QUOTE :- "i reiterate that the i believe th 7* retard was just us being about to use that profile and keep our peaks at the apropriate relation to TDC".

The very point. You seem just not sure and MUST find out. To me 7* retard means shifting the cam lobe position by 7* and therefore the complete inlet period. This in my opinion would be bad news.

Cheers, Trevor

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 05-15-2006 at 10:13 PM.